Thursday, May 12, 2016

Weekly Review May 1-7

This was possibly the busiest week of track and field to date with two meets and an overnight trip, coinciding with the biggest push of farm work we've seen yet this year, and the start of my Triathlon training. Read on!
Harvey on the trail!
Fitness
First week of May and first week of Triathlon training this week. Really, it didn't look much different from a normal week of training for me. Here's what went down:

Sunday- AWESOME 6.4 mile trail run through our pastures. At times, I was really bushwacking it, but it just felt so good to be out there. I did occasionally give worry to the thought of ticks and rattlesnakes, but never did have any run-ins. I took a lot of photos.
Taking a photo break on a trail run through the pasture.

Monday- My birthday, and a track meet in Rudyard. No specific exercise, but, you know, track meets are tiring.

Tuesday- Junior High track meet in Havre. I got up early and put in a few miles before school with dogs, so I had my workout covered.

Wednesday- I ran after school with one of our track athletes. Just an easy 3.4 miles. We talked a little about her plans for potentially running track or cross country collegiately after high school. Good stuff. Also, 15 min yoga.


Thursday- rest.

Friday- Triathlon "mini brick" workout. 4 miles on bike, followed by about 1.5 miles of running. Read more detail about my tri training and goals in my Tri Tuesday post!!
Awkward bike photo... as if there's any other way.

Saturday- I was out of town with our track team for the weekend. We took some of them to the Spartan race, and I was a chaperon, but I did manage a short trail run early in the morning on Saturday. 2.5 miles on a forest service road in Swan Lake, MT. Uphill was tough. Downhill was fun!
Trailhead. Started off pretty mellow uphill for about 100 meters, then it was like the death march!
Here's my YTD Stats through May 7:
Running: 201.5 miles (16.4 miles last week! For me, that's more than normal)
Walking/Hiking: 65.7 miles 
Yoga: 930 min <-- I gained 110 minutes of yoga last week! Wow!
CC-Ski: 500 min / 14.1 miles *Done for the season
Alpine Ski: 3 days *Done for the season
Mountain bike: 38 miles

Farm
I was SUPER BUSY with track this past week with two meets and the Spartan trip, but the farm was just as busy. The guys worked really, really hard and put in some very long days to get our spring seeding efforts more or less wrapped up. There will be a few places they'll have to go back and fill in later- places that were too wet to seed the first time around. There is also our organic farmland yet to seed, and I'll write a bit more about that in a future post. The guys really wanted to roll through seeding some major acres and get it done before the next rain storm, which hit Sunday night. They took turns running the tractor/airdrill (seeder) and helping fill the drill, driving truck, etc. The tractor ran from 6:00 a.m to 11:00 p.m. in those last few days until they were done. That's a lot of tractor time! I know they are glad to have it done, and to have put in the hours.
Pea seedlings. Aren't they cute?!
This year, we seeded yellow field peas, barley, and spring wheat, along with a bit of hay. So far, we've had a rainy start to the growing season, which bodes well for the success of the crops.

Life
Last Monday was my birthday. I turned 32. I don't feel like I'm 32 in a lot of ways- I feel younger. I guess that's a good thing. We didn't do much to celebrate my birthday since Jeff was working and I was at a track meet. I did talk to my parents on Sunday, the day before, and I got some nice cards and small gifts. All in all, it was a good day!

The other big thing for me last week was attending the Spartan race with some of the track team. The race was in Big Fork, MT. They held a Spartan Beast race on Saturday and the Spartan Sprint on Sunday. Myself and our head track coach drove a group of seven high school track athletes over on Friday (about a 5 hour drive), and we camped/stayed at the cabin of a local community member for two nights. We all spent the day on Saturday volunteering at the Beast race for 12 hour shifts. Then, on Sunday, five of the kids participated in the Spartan Sprint race. The rest of us watched, cheered, and took pictures. It was a busy, but fun, event. I will plan on doing a separate post about it-- there is a lot to say about the Spartan experience!
Checking in at the Volunteer tent, about to begin the Spartan experience.

How was your week last week, everyone?
Horseshoe bend in Sage Creek, in our pasture.

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday and nice work this week! Your trail runs sound like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am really loving the trail runs!! I find they really rejuvenate and refresh me, oddly, even though they are physically more demanding and technical. I hope to keep it up over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I am really loving the trail runs!! I find they really rejuvenate and refresh me, oddly, even though they are physically more demanding and technical. I hope to keep it up over the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.