Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Happy National Running Day and an Announcement!

Guess what, guys?!  Today is National Running Day!

I know not everyone who reads my blog is into running, but it's part of who I am, so I'm not going to stop writing about it. Today is National Running Day and I wanted to share Five Reasons Why I Love Running. I'll also tell you about some upcoming races Jeff and I are planning on doing, and share a special announcement. :)
Salomon XR Mission trail running shoes and a smiley barn!
Five Reasons Why I Love Running
I meant to get this typed out to share with The Right Fits running blog, but I totally spaced it until she had her post up today. There are many more than five reasons why I run, but I narrowed it down for you (otherwise this post could get really, really long.) Here's my list of Five Reasons:
  1. Time To Think. Running is time to myself to de-stress, think about my day, plan for the future, and it's when I come up with some of my best ideas... one of which I'll be announcing later in this post!
  2. Challenge Myself. I love the feeling of accomplishing something difficult. Running gives me that. Whether it's a tough workout or pushing myself in a race, running offers endless ways to prove my strength to myself. I don't care what other people think of me, I'm just doing it to show myself that I can. In so doing, I think I am a stronger person all around.
  3. Inspire and Connect with Others. Running allows me to connect with other people on something we have in common. I've met some pretty cool folks through running, and gotten to know others better because of it, too. I also feel like because I run and I talk about running a lot, I can inspire others to possibly find some joy in running, too. 
  4. For My Health. Let's be real. I really love food. I also enjoy a good glass of wine and the occasional beer. Running helps allow me to eat and drink what I want. More than that, though, running has so many health benefits that I know I'll be reaping well into my future. I'm keeping my heart and bones healthy, my whole body healthy, by running!
  5. Enjoy the Scenery.  Running and racing allows me to see places I'd maybe never see. It's also allowed me to see my own place, right here at home, a little more intimately. I feel like I know every piece of gravel in these old roads! I appreciate this place more each time I run it!
This was my route on tonight's run. :)
Are you a runner? What are some reasons why you run? If you're not a runner but you have some other form or recreation you enjoy, what are some reasons why you like to do what you do? When I asked Jeff why he likes running, his response was, "Uhhhhh...."  Ha! I'm telling myself that his non-articulated response was because really his thought process about running is too complex to put into words. ;)  If you want to check out a whole bunch of reasons why other people run, stop on over at The Right Fits and see the all the lists from others she's posted! There are some pretty great reasons to rekindle or start a love of running. Who knows?! You may just feel like lacing up your shoes and heading on out there for a run yourself!

If you're looking for an upcoming race in Montana to fuel your running fire, there are two coming up quickly that we are planning on doing: Governor's Cup and Dawson's Run.

Governor's Cup is coming up on Saturday, June 13, in Helena, MT. It's only ten days away!  They offer many options for distances: 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon. Governor's Cup is the longest-running marathon in Montana and is also touted as being one of the best for qualifying for Boston. If you're from somewhere other than Montana and looking for a Marathon to travel to, this could be the one! Jeff and I are not marathon runners, so we won't be doing that distance. Jeff is signed up for the 5K and I'm signed up for the 10K. The 10K starts at 7:00 a.m., so I'll be done in plenty of time to cheer Jeff on in his 5K, which starts at 9, and watch some of the full and half marathoners complete their finish. This is a really big racing event with some cool keynote speakers and potentially some big-name elite runners participating. I'm really excited to do this race for the first time this year, and just to take it all in!
Race Logo

Dawson's Run is coming up only one week after Governor's Cup. It's a local race held in Joplin, MT on the weekend of their Car Show and Art in the Park event. It's a small, intimate race where everybody knows your name. Jeff and I have done it a few times and had a blast each year! They have a one mile and a 5K distance. It's just put on by some local community members and they always do a great job. There's no website, but if you're interested, you can look for their Facebook page. This race is becoming a staple of my spring/summer racing series and I'm so pumped to do it again this year!

And now for the big announcement! We've been tossing around the idea for a long time, but now we're really going to do it. Jeff and I are going to host a 5K fun run! More details will come, but right now the tentative date for the race will be Saturday, September 12. It's going to be held on our farm and I think we're officially calling it 5K On The Farm, but I've also been tossing around the title Goldstone Shuffle. Maybe 5K On The Farm: Goldstone Shuffle??  We're pretty much 99% positive of the date, so mark your calendars! We're thinking of a 10:00 a.m. start time, and plan to offer a 1-mile fun run and a 3.1 mile (5K) run/race/walk. Both distances will be out-and-back routes starting and ending at our driveway. After the race, we are thinking we'll feed everyone a grilled hamburger lunch! As details become concrete, I'll share more info. For now, just circle the date in your calendar and get excited! 

4 comments:

  1. I havent done the Governors Cup, but I am thinking some year that I need to run the half up there. So exciting you are moving ahead with your planning on the 5k! I just wish it were closer to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah no kidding! It would be probably almost 6 hours drive for you to get to our farm. That's a long ways to go for a 5K!! I'm nervous and excited to be moving forward with it though! :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! Thanks for sharing your reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading and commenting, as always! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.