Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thankful Thursday ~ Why Do I Run?

I love running. I'm not terribly fast, but I love it. 

This week I have been constantly thinking about running. The Boston Marathon was on Monday. I'm in the middle of Track Season. I'm continually working on my own training goals. I follow several running blogs and running companies. It has only been a matter of time before I came around to a Thankful Thursday post specifically dedicated to running. 

But as I sit down to try to work on this post and organize my thoughts, I ask myself: Why do I run? 

Here's one woman's reason why she runs. These words are from Shalaya Kipp, an Olympic Steeplechase athlete:
I am, of course, a runner...and like many runners who each have their own reason to run, each just a valid as the other, I have my own. On some level, I run because I want to do what hasn't been done before, even if its just for myself. There's a new place to see, a new journey to be taken, on every run. I think all runners feel excitement of preeminent adventure by just starting a watch on a trail that's never seen my footprints before, even if they are footprints on the moon. That's why they call it a personal record. Because even if you're not the fastest, there's nothing else like pushing yourself past that frontier of what you were previously capable of. - See more at: http://www.oiselle.com/blog/heya-heya-shalaya-welcome-shalaya-kipp-team#sthash.NWGaUpWI.dpuf

One thing I love about running is that it provides an avenue for me to challenge myself and keep growing. Just as Shalaya talks about doing what hasn't been done before, I find the competition with myself to be motivating and inspiring. In the past twelve months, my running hobby has pushed me beyond my own personal frontier in terms of distance I'm comfortable with. Last summer I decided I was ready to expand my racing from strictly 5K (3.1 miles) up to include 10K distances (6.2miles). This was a big shift for me, mentally and physically. I committed to a training plan, picked my first 10K race, and stuck with it. I finished with an OK time, but for me it felt like I had crossed the finish line into a new frontier of possibilities. I had completed something I had never done before. I signed up for another 10K only a few months later. And, I'm doing a Virtual 10K tomorrow.

Running also gives me pride in my body and its abilities. Ask most any woman what part of her body is her favorite, and I think most of us will struggle to give any answer. It's a challenge to feel good about ourselves and our body image when most of us look nothing like what the media portrays as attractive. We also find it difficult not to compare ourselves to what we see. For me, running and fitness has allowed me to see what my body is truly capable of. I look at my legs, my booty, and now I see the source of my power as a runner, and I am happy and thankful for the way that they look. I am strong.
So true. If you told me that I would be running miles when I was recovering from back surgery I would have laughed and told you that you had me confused with somebody else. I cry at some point during each run because my legs hurt. Not because the pain is there, but because I can feel it and it reminds me how incredibly lucky I am.

I also love running because it gives me time to myself to think, process, and sometimes to de-stress. Sometimes, I can get so absorbed in emotions and thoughts when I'm running, before I know it, I'm done. And I feel better. Something about the rhythm of the road that can get a person thinking. I think I'm overall happier and healthier in many ways because of my running habit. But I still think I need this t-shirt...
www.goneforarun.com
So, why do I run? I didn't always love it. I do now. I run because it makes me happier with myself, body and spirit, and it challenges me to be better than I was before. I'm thankful for the ability and health I have that allow me to run. I'm thankful for supportive friends and family who encourage me.

I'm also thankful for some strong women runners and their contributions to the female running community. First off, Kathrine Switzer. Never heard of her? She's the first female to enter and complete the Boston Marathon. Check out this video to learn more.
Switzer completed the Boston Marathon as the first female to (illegally) enter in 1967. It wasn't until 1972 that women were officially permitted to enter and participate in the race.  Female runners everywhere owe a lot to her and her efforts and tenacity that day. 

Some of my other running heroes right now are Sarah Attar, who is one of two women who competed in the 2012 Olympics for the first time representing Saudi Arabia (Sarah ran the 800 and finished to a standing ovation), and Lauren Fleshman. Lauren Fleshman is amazing. She is a world class elite runner and a super-positive and motivating badass. She also is the part-owner and founder of PickyBars health snack bars. AND she just won a Shorty Award (awards for excellent use of social media). When I grow up I want to be like her. Here's some pictures--
sarahstadium.jpg
From www.oiselle.com, a photo of Sarah Attar running the 800 in the 2012 Olympics.
"I'm not a model. I'm a professional runner." @Lauren Davison Davison Fleshman. #birdmachine #nyfw
Read the full article on Runners World at: http://www.runnersworld.com/womens-running/runner-learns-the-walk
Lastly, I'm inspired by my track athletes, past and present, who lay it all out on the line on the track, in the jumping pit, or throwing arena. I sometimes lose sleep thinking about how I can help you guys and be a better coach and you repay me with your efforts and smiles. I spend a lot of time on long runs devising motivational pep talks and strategizing hurdle workouts and drills. Thanks to you guys for keeping me going!

Now, I get it that most of my readers aren't runners. Some are. For those that aren't, thanks for reading this whole thing. I hope each of you has something that you're passionate about as a hobby or passtime, and I hope that whatever it is, you can verbalize why you love it and why you do it, and be thankful for it.

What are you thankful for this week?

And, DON'T FORGET to submit a photo or two of PLACES you are thankful for so I can fill up my post next week with cool photos! If you're not sure what I'm talking about, read my post from last week HERE. :)

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I am thankful every day for running- for health reasons (both mental and physical) for social reasons (both friends in real life and virtual like you!) and for the focus and discipline that it gives to my life. I enjoyed reading all these wonderful quotes and reading about your passion for running! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks so much for your kind words! I love reading your blog, too, for the same reasons you listed above about mine! ha!

      Delete
  2. Running has always been such a part of who I am, I remember running around the lawn when I was younger just because I loved the feel of it. Running is such a great way to destress, enjoy nature, sweat, meet new people and push yourself.
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I agree with all of your comments too! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.