Friday, March 13, 2015

Thankful Thursday ~ New Life

The best thing about this time of year living on a ranch is the new calves. They are so happy and bouncy and playful; it is impossible not to smile when watching them!

This week has been a challenging week for me and my family members. My cousin Megan and her husband lost one of their daughters on Sunday night to a bacterial meningitis infection. You can read quite a bit in detail on their family blog, which they started when their twin daughters were born back in September: http://twins.marcusjburke.com/.  If you go back, you can read all about how Sophia got sick, and read up to this point.

It is so hard to think about and accept that a young infant could perish, and in such a random, unpreventable way. I have experienced quite a range of emotions just thinking about it, and I'm not the one who lost my own daughter! I can't even imagine what my cousin is feeling right now.

I find that my strongest response is an urge to live life in spite of the bad things that happen. I feel a sort of defiance, like if I live life as boldly as I can, it will somehow counteract what is not going well. Every life and every act of life boldy lived is precious.

When I look at the calves this week, I am especially thankful for their bounciness. I know they're not humans, they can't replace any human babies and I would never assert that they could, but they are new life. They are small, sprightly beings that can fill a person with joy.

Don't believe me? Check out these videos Jeff took of our calves!
White Tail Simmental Calf

Jumping Calf Gets Tired

If you're not smiling, watch the videos again! :)

This Thankful Thursday blog post is dedicated to my cousin Megan and her family. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Live life boldly today, let your laughter lift someone's spirit and light up a room, in honor of Sophia. If you are feeling called, as I did, to make a contribution to the Sophia Valentine Burke Memorial Fund, you may do so by clicking the link at the bottom of this post on the Burke family blog. Donations are being handled through PayPal.


What are you thankful for this week? 

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful ever as always for my two healthy children, they may be a big pain in my butt sometimes, but they are smart, healthy, and the two most amazing things that have ever happened to me and things like this are always great reminder, so sorry for your cousins loss, I can only imagine the heartache and grief she is experiencing. Hugs to you to

    Love those baby calves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. The calves are so, so cute! We just had one while I was in Wichita that is a total gem. Hopefully I can get a post done about him and a calving update pretty soon!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.