Thursday, December 11, 2014

November Fitness Challenges Recap

Now that December is half way finished, it's probably about time that I recap the November fitness challenges that I did, don't you think!?

If you remember back a ways, I had decided to participate in two 30 day fitness challenges, one that called for doing planks every day, and the other asked for running a total of 48 miles in November. You can read about them in THIS POST I did in early November.

I know all three of my faithful readers have been just waiting in agony, wondering how I did on those challenges! Ha!

Well, here's my hand-written calendar that I filled in along the way, to show my results:
30 days closer to being a Badass!
It took me the full month to get all my miles in;  I actually didn't get the full 48 in until my very last run on November 30. But hey, I did it! It was also really great for me to see my mileage written out in a calendar like this. It gave me a visual of how much running I had done and when I could have done more. It's something I'm thinking about continuing. Does anyone else use a calendar or journal to track exercise? If so, what do you like to use?

Both challenges were fun and challenging but not deathly hard to accomplish. I am really noticing the benefits of the planking challenge in my overall posture, both running and non-running. And, the added core strength has helped my running form overall, in addition to just becoming stronger.

The 48 mile in a month challenge was really good for me, too. 48 miles in a month is more running than I had been accustomed to doing, and really helped me train and get in shape for the 10K I did on Thanksgiving, Huffing For Stuffing.

The running challenge was one that I actually paid money to do and came with great prizes. It's all on the honor system, so I just tracked my miles in a spreadsheet and emailed it to the race organizers at the end of the month. About a week later, I received my goodie bag:
The t-shirt is great, and the medal is nice too. The necklace was completely unexpected. I don't know if that's something they give everyone, or only some people depending on the event they do, or only women, or just at random, or what, but I got one. I never saw anything about receiving a necklace in the event description or anywhere on their website, but hey, it's cool.

Funk~N~Run events are all put on by these people who call themselves Flower Child Productions. The necklace is actually a little flower charm with stones (I'm assuming they're crystals of some sort or maybe even CZ).
The necklace was a nice surprise, but it's not really my style, and since I'm thinking it's not worth anything anyway, I'll probably donate it to the Prize Bin in my classroom at school. Some little second-grader would probably love that thing to death and would wear it more than I would.

All in all, the challenges were a great success and I'd definitely do another 30 day challenge in the future. I would also strongly consider doing a Funk~N~Run challenge again the next time I want to train for a specific race distance. It was fun, and the fact that I paid a little money and was going to earn some prizes helped keep me honest and consistent in training for the HFS 10K.

No races or events are on my horizon right now, although I'm thinking about doing a virtual run or two in the long winter months of January and February, just to keep myself motivated. Have any of you ever done a virtual run? Shape Up Montana starts in February, too, so that will help. I'm travelling to Wichita, KS in March and have already checked to see that they have a St. Patrick's Day run, so that might be the next actual race that I do.  Besides all that, well... SKI SEASON is upon us!!! Can't wait to go play in the snow! :)

What are you doing for winter fitness?

6 comments:

  1. Great job getting in all your miles! I haven't heard of Funk n Run I will have to check that out. The necklace is cute and I agree a 2nd grade girl would dig that!

    I used to track all my miles on DailyMile, but when I got injured a year and a half ago I quit. I am thinking about starting up again next year. I tend to run all winter, but I do have an elliptical for the really nasty out days and I do yoga a couple times a week and some form of strength training. usually a HIIT workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, it sounds like you have a really great system to work in some variety in the winter. Way to go!

      I found out about FunkNRun in the Active.com weekly newsletter I get via email. They do 30-day challenges regularly. In fact, they've got one that starts in a few days-- December 15 through January 15. You can choose if you want to do Run 30 miles in a month, run 48 miles, or run 99 miles. The prizes are the same as what I did for my challenge. I thought it was fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, nice job getting this in! Oh, my 2nd grade girl would love this! I'd for sure pass it on to her! This makes me excited to keep logging and tracking my miles a bit more in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for checking out my blog! You have some great training goals and personal goals that I read about on your site-- I'm sure you'll do great with them! :)

      Delete
  3. I prefer a hand-written schedule/tracking...but with my new coach I am using an online system called "Training Peaks" where I can add comments after each run about how I felt, etc. Its pretty handy!

    Congrats on keeping up your fitness goals during the holiday season (and amidst all the baking/cookies :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about pen and paper that makes things more real for me! Nevertheless, I may check out Training Peaks. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.