Wednesday, October 29, 2014

When Farming, Running, and Hunting Collide...

... You drive a few miles up the road to drop your husband off at a vehicle he had spotted, jog out to take a look at a winter wheat field and then back to the car, while wearing blaze. 

That's how my evening run went today!

I had planned on running when I got home from work. Wednesdays are a great day for running because I typically get home a little earlier. The weather was good when I got home, too. Good as in Not Terribly Windy. I was all gung-ho to take the dog and go.

Then Jeff said he needed me to give him a ride up to the field where he'd parked a rig. He needed to take that vehicle back to his folks' house, then drive his own pickup back home.

Ok. No problem. I changed into my jogging clothes and we three (me, Jeff, Harvey) loaded up. Jeff handed me my blaze orange safety vest and I put it on in the car. Hunting season is open. Better safe and SEEN than sorry. Harvey was suited up also.
All suited up in blaze and ready to run!
We parked and Jeff left and then Harvey and I started our jog.  Soon, Harvey chased a large Antelope doe. I hoped that doe was not in someone's rifle cross hairs as we ran by on the road, or if it was, that the hunter also saw us in our safety vests. No sign of anyone around, though. Nothing to fear.
Who's that handsome hunting, running Vizsla? It's Harvey!
We went out to the edge of one of our fields, then back a ways, then cut North to the only tree on our farm, back to the road, back to the car. Roughly three miles. Not a lot, but still good. Lot's of direction change, varied running surfaces, and visual landmarks made it easy to work in some surges and speed mix-ups.
See the tree?
See the dog?
And, I did stop to take a photo of the winter wheat to show Jeff.
Winter wheat in the furrows. Lookin' good!
Guy should have some winter wheat in the ground. :)
Then back in the car and driving home, Jeff arriving back at the same time. Quick typing out the blog, and then on to dinner!

Headed home. Nice clouds tonight. 

6 comments:

  1. Great pics of Harvey! I love his blaze orange harness. What brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and good question! I just looked at his vest-- I think the brand is Hallmark. We probably picked it up at Sportsman's Warehouse or some similar type of hunting store. We've had it for a while. I like it because it zips up the back so it is easier for us to put it on him/take it off. There's also a lot of protection on his tummy so he doesn't get scratched up when we use it for hunting. And, of course, it's easy to see him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks! It looks like it fits him well and perfect for allowing him to be seen during hunting season!

      Delete
    2. I also love your blue capris :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.