Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Training Harvey to Hunt

Today, I have a special treat for all the dog-lovers out there! I'm excited to announce that I had the great honor of working with Jessie over at The Right Fits on a post about training my dog, Harvey, to hunt game birds. So, really, this post is for the hunters in my reading mix, too! Read below to get started, then click on over to The Right Fits to read the rest of the post on Jessie's blog! 
Photo taken shortly after we got Harvey, September 2010.
I still remember when Jeff announced to me that he knew what kind of puppy we’d be getting. At the time, we were engaged, but not living together, and talking on the phone daily.

He had been rattling on and on without much pause about this type of dog that I had never heard of before. He was excited to tell me that these dogs were energetic but snuggly and affectionate, very intelligent, and were excellent hunters. I could take him running with me if I wanted to, and on the farm where we’d be living he’d have plenty of free space, and Jeff would train him as a bird dog. He wasn’t going to be too big, and he was really clean—with short hair and a habit for licking and cleaning himself…. Jeff kept going naming all the virtues of this mysterious dog breed I had never heard of before.

“Wait—what kind of dog is it?” I had asked.

“A Vizsla!” 

We picked up Harvey as a puppy from a breeder in Iowa, while on a trip there to visit my family. This was about four years ago, in September. Harvey rode all the way home with us as a teeny tiny seven-week old pup with huge ears, blue eyes, and a cute little pot-belly. We loved him from the start. He would be our companion, best friend, running buddy, snuggle-man, and hunting guide from that day on.

For the REST of the story, click on over to THIS POST on The Right Fits! While you're at it, check out some of Jessie's other posts, too. She does a fantastic job! 

Harvey in a barley field, late this past summer.
Pretty handsome guy!
Want to read more about our hunting adventures? Here are a few links to past posts on hunting with Harvey that have appeared on PrairiePonderingsMT.

1 comment:

  1. The puppy pics get me every time, but the thing about vizslas is that they only get more handsome/beautiful as adults! Thanks again for sharing your experiences with the Right Fits readers. It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.