Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November Fitness Challenges

Has anybody else noticed that November is the new January?

It seems like everywhere I look on social media, I'm seeing people participating in 30-Day Challenges of one sort or another, resolving to be better, learn something, commit to something, for the thirty days of November. A mini- New Years Resolution... in November.

Pinterest seems to be the place to find yourself in the mecca of 30-Day Challenges. Here's where you'll find any challenge to suit your interests, each complete with it's own hashtag and social media accountability framework. By the way, 30-Day-Challenge does have it's own hashie--- #30daychallenge. (I was told that's what they're called now-- hashies. Get with it! Hashtag is so 2013!)

Sidebar: What happens in December? We have November to challenge ourselves, December to glutton, then January 1 hits and we're resolving away all our transgressions? 

After sorting through all the bajillion ways I could #30DayChallenge myself, I did settle on two fitness related challenges. I selected two that would actually challenge me, but weren't so unreasonable that they'd become something I'd dread and never complete. Reachable, attainable goals that can be achieved, but would still require effort, organization, and discipline on my end.

So, for the month of November, I'll be challenging myself in running and core strength. I'm participating in a plank-challenge via Title Nine, and also a running challenge via FunkNRun.

First, the planking challenge--
10-27TurkeyChallenge
Honestly, I probably should have chosen the push ups or pull ups because I have pretty poor upper body strength, but I went with planks because I thought they would be the best for helping my running posture. There's no reward or prize or anything for completing this challenge, but I saw on their original blog post for this challenge, located HERE, that I am supposed to get a photo of myself in action, planking, and post it on social media with the hashie: #aintnoturkey

While I think I am actually OK at planks and secretly kind of enjoy doing them, in reality, this is what I actually think is happening when I am doing planks:
Some of you have probably seen that picture before. I'm definitely the elephant, not the gorgeous happy brunette who's looking up and saying, "I love planking! I'm already on minute 17 of my plank and feeling great! And the breeze is blowing my hair in a sexy, graceful way... and notice that I do not have a drop of sweat?! Isn't planking fun?!" That lady #isaturkey for being ridiculous. I'll probably not be posting a photo of myself planking. Anywhere. Ever.

OK, so the other challenge does not involve any photos in-action. I'm doing the Funk~N~Run November Running Challenge-- Win At Least A Medal. You can read about it if you scroll down a bit on THIS PAGE. I am doing option number 2-- 48 miles of running in the month of November. This would definitely be an increase in monthly mileage for me, but not unreasonable. Plus, I'd like to do a 10K for whichever Thanksgiving Day run I end up doing, so this will help keep me in line with training. So far, I've done 4.25 miles as of yesterday. Off to a good start. They don't mention on the website any hashtags for public embarassment for this challenge, but I'd guess I could use #funknrun or something like that and it would get the job done.

To keep track of both of my goals, I made a good old-fashioned hand-written calendar on PAPER (I know what you're thinking-- why didn't I just use an app on my smartphone? Paper?! WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?!) I'm just that kind of girl. Something about the act of writing with a pen onto paper makes it feel official. 
And, it's on the fridge. Staring at me every day. 

So, what about you, dear reader? Are you embarking on a #30DayChallenge of your own this month? If so, what are you doing? What are the silly hashtags you will (or won't!) be using? 

6 comments:

  1. Love it! Fun post. I haven't signed up for any challenges yet, but I love a plank challenge.

    I still use good old fashioned pen/paper for tracking my runs, etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And long live the pen and paper!

      Delete
    2. Love the Plank poster! I am going to put it up where I work out---everyone will get a chuckle from it.
      I, also, am a firm believer in the pen & paper method. Things seem to "stick" better to my brain that way.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for commenting, Aunt Jean! I hope your gym enjoys the planking elephants. :)

      Delete
  2. I seem to have been so busy I haven't had time to join any 30 day challenges and I kind of meant to. and it is already a week into November. Hope you are rocking your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far, I'm on pace to make both challenge goals. With or without a 30 day challenge, I hope your November continues to be awesome!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.