Sunday, November 23, 2014

Going Funning in the Country

Sticking with running through the winter months is something I haven't been great at accomplishing over the past several years, but this year, I'm already making a better effort. We have a treadmill, so there really aren't any excuses not to get a run in, but I do love running outdoors so much more. So long as the Northern Montana weather isn't prohibitive, that is.

Friday morning, the weather was actually pretty ideal for some outdoor running.  It was a little windy, but I solved that problem by having Jeff drop me off somewhere so that the wind would be at my back for most of my run. The temperature was about 40 degrees and sunny. Wind at my back was definitely tolerable, and probably helped me out.

I referenced this blog post from Oiselle Tis the Season to Go Funning a few posts ago on my blog already. The gist of the post is to find ways to make cold weather running even more fun, aka "funning". This Friday morning run was the ideal time to get excited and take some photos along my running route. It's a route I drive often but have never run, so it was new to me in that sense.

Jeff dropped me and Harvey off at Mel's Corner, and we ran the rest of the way home. About 5.5 miles. Since I was going funning, I allowed myself plenty of brief stops for photo ops and dog petting. Those of you who are familiar with our neck of the woods will recognize some of the places and viewpoints. For the rest of you, I hope you'll find something you enjoy! Here's what I came up with!
Headed East on Road 200, right at the start of my run.
About a mile into my run, jogging past Merlin and Pat's house, Harvey and I were joined by their dog, Bella. She's a RezQ dog that they've had for a couple years now and is absolutely full of energy. She is the only dog we know of whose energy level exceeds Harvey's. She's a nice dog, though. She stayed with us for a mile or so, then turned around and ran back home.
Harvey and Bella :)
 After a few miles, this was the view looking back West:
Gotta love the Sweetgrass Hills!

Our new neighbors up here built this sign over the summer. I think it's great! As applied to my run, no, we had not gone far enough yet!
Dog-petting break! 
When we run around home, Harvey always runs off-leash. There are so few cars and really excellent visibility out on the flat grasslands that we don't have to worry about him getting lost or into danger. Plus, he typically stays pretty close to me or Jeff anyway. I am so thankful we live in a place where Harvey can pretty much roam free and sprint and run and play to his heart's content! 
Harvey leads the way!
He's wearing his blaze orange vest because it is still hunting season, so that's for visibility to anyone nearby who might be hunting. I wear an orange vest over my running clothes this time of year, too.
Running by Goldstone Church, the little country church where we sometimes attend Sunday services. It's about a mile and a half from our house.
 It took me 52 minutes to get home, with my barn welcoming me back!

What do you do to stay active outdoors in the winter? Or, is a book by the fireplace more your style?

3 comments:

  1. I always thought if I HAD to move I could live on the hi line, love those wide open spaces. I love that little church too. I had a pretty much funning run yesterday too and really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wide open spaces is definitely something we have aplenty up here! I love it. Glad you are finding time to get outdoors and get some good runs in, too! The weather has been great lately up here!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! I'm a bit anxious about "funning." Me and the cold don't really mix well, but I have to agree that running outdoors always bet treadmills. Anyway, those are beautiful pictures of the road and the open fields. Also, the dogs are super adorable. Thank you so much for sharing! Wishing you all the best!

    Darren Lanphere @ Mirr Ranch

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear what you think of this post in your comments.